lichess.org
Donate

Why children doesn't follow what were taught?

Hi guys, I have a 10 years old girl as my student. Currently she can do quite well - she knows the basic of opening, tactics, and endgame.

She knows how to control the center, develop her pieces, ensure king safety etc etc.

However, she always loses due to simple reasons - hanging her pawns, not realizing her opponent has a simple fork, etc etc.

I've taught her to always "ask yourself what does my opponent wants to do?" and "always look out for check, captures, and tactics". She admits that she seldom does all these because she claims that she doesn't have the time and/or simply forgot about it during her game.

Her lichess rating is 1600-ish, nearing 1700.

Any one here has experieces teachings kids her age, can you share some tips on how to guide her into playing better and stop making silly mistakes?

Thank you in advance!
I am an old adult and knows more chess knowledge than your daughter. I still hangs pieces I suggest you Reward your daughter to make achievement in chess or school. Ofc don't punish her if she fails.
Thank you for your response @ryan121. I'll try to come up with a reward system when she achieves something.

The main problem that I am facing is that she doesn't adhere to the things that I taught her, but then she comes back to me crying when she lost a game.

It's like a vicious cycle of losing, learning the method again, then go back to play a game, only to lose again.
@OhPening said in #3:
> Thank you for your response @ryan121. I'll try to come up with a reward system when she achieves something.
>
> The main problem that I am facing is that she doesn't adhere to the things that I taught her, but then she comes back to me crying when she lost a game.
>
> It's like a vicious cycle of losing, learning the method again, then go back to play a game, only to lose again.
To become great at anything you must fail many many times. Just all part of the process
@griffindabeast thank you, I totally agree.

As her father and coach, what are the things that I should do to guide her along the process? I know that if she follows the lessons and method she can become better and stronger.

Any ways of reminding her of the lessons during games? Notes across her room's wall, perhaps? *shrugs*
not everyone is a polgar mhm, i love ur passion !! ^^
let her explore chess herself !!
- Aelia ( 2020 president candidate :)) )
"Why children doesn't follow what were taught?" You probably mean "said" instead of "taught". Teaching is indeed a bit of art. You have to make it interesting for a kid, otherwise he won't like it and not be interested, bored, not concentrated, and every lesson hoping it finishes soonest possible...
Magnus is best, because he loves it, truly from the heart. Forget that talent talk and other general excuses of society, trying to belittle ones dedication from the heart. If your daughter will love something, you will see extrahuge progress within short time. As griffin pointed out, does she really love chess? Not gonna say anyone how to be father, but perhaps, our as parents duty is to help child to try many things and figure out where their heart follows. Not everyone need to be world champion, besides WC title is more important for fans (it looks like) than for title holder himself...
Spend minimum of 30s a move, no matter how obvious
A month ago, my youngest daughter was one of thousands of primary school kids taking the semi-annual grade school exams in all core subjects. Her weakest score was 89% in science, her best 99% in English. She had the highest English score in her school, across all grades. Would you believe it? I seriously asked her what she did wrong. Then I smiled and told her I was proud of her.

1600 for a ten year old is pretty damn good. Well, 1600 can be a lot or can be next door to nothing, depending on the strength of the pool she's rated in, but still it is nothing to be ashamed of. And if she truly has a grasp of the elements that your give her credit for, then she is doing well enough already that you can slacken the reins a bit and give her a pat on the shoulder. She is earning your respect, show it a little.

Oh, and I'm sure you've heard this before, but it bears mentioning: teaching is never about what you teach, it's always about who and how you reach them. The object of teaching is to instill a sense of self-reliance, and that means letting go. Chess can be an ideal vehicle for that purpose, if you and she let it.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.